You might be pondering the idea of cutting on social media for a while. It’s probably long overdue for all of us. One of the better ways to get started with that is to learn how to turn off Facebook notifications in Chrome.
We all remember the old days when Facebook notifications were only important once.
If you saw that red dot in the top right corner you would get excited, and for a reason.
Since then, with every update, the amount of notification has increased.
By expending the possible reasons for notifications, Facebook has diminished the value of them.
Nowadays if you receive the notification you would probably think it is nothing important, and again for a reason.
For example, you don’t get excited if someone you don’t know posts in a group you don’t remember joining (but you will get notified).
There is a reason why Facebook keeps flooding us with notifications. They want us to be engaged as much as possible because they profit from us.
They profit from our attention and from the things we share. We all knew that for quite some time, but where will we draw the line?
For many of us, it is hard to just quit Facebook. Either because it has become an important part of our social life or because it is necessary for our work.
There is a way to reduce Facebook notifications that are not important for you.
In this article, we will give instructions on how to: (1)
- Stop Facebook notifications on Chrome
- Disable Facebook Desktop notifications.
We specifically have chosen to talk about this kind of notifications because they are the most disruptive ones.
Pop-up notifications are part of a thing called push technology.
In internet communication, that means that you receive information that you didn’t request. In other words, those are the kind of messages that you receive whether you like it or not.
They are invasive and irritating, but also effective. It is effective because people don’t bother to disable them. Facebook can increase their engagement by shoving push notifications at them.
Usually, push notifications are sent through another application that you are currently using.
For instance, you can be browsing the web on Google Chrome, and Facebook will pop-up from nowhere.
How To Disable Facebook Notifications On Chrome
For some reason default settings on the google chrome browser allow push notifications. There is an easy way to turn them off.
- After you launch your browser click on the three dots icon in the top right corner. That should open up the drop-down menu called “Customize and control Google Chrome”.
- Click on the option “Settings” listed on that drop-down menu
- Now in the settings menu scroll all the way down till you reach “Show advanced settings”. By clicking that option more options will be revealed
- Look for the “Privacy and Security” section
- In that section, you will find “Content settings” or “Site settings” depending on your version of google chrome
- Next, scroll down and click on “Notifications”
- There should be a toggle button labeled “Sites can ask to send notifications”. Toggle it off if you wish not to receive ANY type of notifications
- If you want to turn off just the Facebook notifications leave the toggle on, and by scrolling down find Facebook in the list of sites and apps. Click on the three dots icon and then click “block”. Alternatively, if you have a newer version of google chrome instead of the three dots you will see an arrow icon. And instead of “block”, you will find the option to turn off notifications.
Block Desktop Notifications on Facebook
If you want to turn off the notification from the Facebook settings instead of Google Chrome once follow the next instructions:
- Log in to your Facebook account
- In the top right corner, you should see an icon that looks like a tip of an arrow
- By clicking on it you will open up a drop-down menu. In that menu choose “Settings”
- When you enter the settings menu look for the “notifications” button on the left side of your screen.
- In the “Notifications settings” scroll down to the section labeled “How you receive notifications”
- In that section click on the button “Browser”
- Find Google Chrome and using the toggle button next to it to disable the Facebook notifications.
With new technical improvements, an ever-growing number of gadgets, and the expansion of IoT (Internet of Things) our everyday information can be overwhelming.
Deciding what we need and what we want to avoid is the first step. Then with a little customization of the devices and apps, we can unclutter our attention. That way we will free up space in our minds for more important things.
We hope that you have now disabled your Facebook notifications and can enjoy the world, in peace.